Safety & Handling and SDS
Safety is not just a priority at Toray Composite Materials America, Inc., it is a core value.
Prepreg is a composite material consisting of epoxy resins combined with glass, carbon fibers or fabric. Epoxy resins are sensitizers that can cause allergic dermatitis or skin allergies. Avoid direct handling or the material as much as possible.
Once the material is cured, it is considered non-allergenic. Any dust created in the machining or finishing of the cured material should be considered nuisance dust.
Carbon fibers and dusts are electrically conductive. Electrical equipment and machinery should be isolated to protect from damage.
Working with these materials may cause problems such as:
- Skin irritation and allergic dermatitis
- Electrical hazards
- Respiratory irritation
The following safety and handling guidelines should be followed to protect workers and electrical devices:
- Read the SDS before handling.
- Personnel should wear goggles, face masks, gloves and protective clothing wherever dust or broken filament generation is significant.
- Local removal of dust at the point of generation is highly effective.
- Routine particle concentration testing is recommended.
- Electrical equipment should be isolated and appropriately protected from stray carbon fiber filaments in order to prevent short circuiting. Computing equipment should be encased and supplied with purge air under pressure in order to protect electronic components.
- Do not incinerate carbon fiber. Dispose of waste in properly permitted landfills and in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Personal cleanliness and careful work habits are positive preventative actions.
- Rotating bars and rollers should be used to guide fiber tows, rather than stationary eyelets, pins or bars.
- The use of ventilation devices will further reduce the potential for fiber inhalation and equipment damage.
- Additional safety and handling information is printed on cardboard case packages.
Safety Data Sheets (SDSs)
Contact us for a copy of the safety data sheet (SDS) for any of our carbon fiber or prepreg products.